K 2 Chogori Expedition
Elevation (K 2 Chogori Expedition): 8,616 meters
Prominence: 13,179 feet (4,017 meters)
Location: Pakistan/China, Asia
First Ascent: AchilleCompagnoni and LinoLacedelli (Italy), July 31, 1954
Duration: 72 Days
Best Time: Mid May – End August
K 2 Chogori Expedition is one of the most famous expeditions for mountaineers. K2 Base camp is a short 4 – 5 hour walk from Concordia, nature’s version of a highway interchange where several glaciers merge into the Baltoro. K2 has the reputation of being one of the hardest 8000-meter peaks. Its entire route are technically challenging, it is not a mountain to be taken lightly since the route crosses prominent avalanche terrain. It has taken more lives while people coming down after the summit rather than climbing up. Therefore K2 is also called “The Savage Mountain”. Base Camp is at 4500 meters altitude. From the summit, you will see the entire Karakoram, including the Gasherbrums group of peaks, Masherbrum, Mustagh Tower and Chogolisa. Depending on the weather, K2 Peak can be completed in as little as eight weeks (Islamabad-Islamabad) or as long as twelve weeks or more. The return trip is often over the 6000 meter Gondogoro La and the beautifully green Hushe Valley from which you return to Skardu.
72 Days K 2 Chogori Expedition Itinerary:
Day 01: Arrival Islamabad
On arrival meet and assist at airport and then transfer to hotel. Overnight stay in hotel at Islamabad.
Day 02: Islamabad – Skardu (By Air)
Early morning flight to Skardu (flights are subject to weather), if unable to fly we will depart for Skardu by road with overnight stay at Chilas. Overnight stay in hotel at Skardu.
Day 03: Skardu
In case of flight has operated we will go for sightseeing tour of Skardu and in case no flight, the day will be used for over land travel from Chilas to Skardu (total drive is 22 – 24 hrs from Islamabad to Skardu). Overnight stay in hotel at Skardu.
Day 04: Skardu
The day is to finalize the expedition arrangements. Overnight stay in hotel at Skardu.
Day 05: Skardu – Askole
After breakfast we will embark jeeps for a full day ride on a winding jeep trail to Askole – The last inhabitance on our way to the Great Glaciers. (Tent)
Day 06: Askole – Korophone
Today we will leave the last inhabited village of Askole. For the remaining portion of our journey we will rely on our local team who will carry our food and equipment and sustain our expedition. (Tent)
Day 07: Korophone – Jhula
Trek to the Dumurdo river cross at Jhula, (Jhula means wire Rope-Bridge supported by a wooden basket); now a days wooden bridge has been built to cross it. (Tent)
Day 08: Jhula – Paiju
We will resume trek along the BralduRiver to a green oasis under the shadows of Paiju Peak 6611 M. (Tent)
Day 09: Paiju – Rest Day
Rest & acclimatization day at Paiju.(Tent)
Day 10: Paiju – Urdukas
Begin trek after an early breakfast. (Tent)
Day 11:Urdukas – Goro
A long walk on the icy Baltoro Glacier. (Tent)
Day 12: Goro – Concordia
After an early breakfast, we will resume a long walk on the Baltoro Glacier to a point called Concordia – a huge junction of Baltoro, Abruzzi & Godwin Austin Glaciers at 4000 meters.(Tent)
Day 13: Concordia – Rest Day
We will prepare for the long adventure. (Tent)
Day 14 – 61: Climbing
Day 62: Concordia – Ali Camp
After an early breakfast we will leave the Concordia for Ali Camp. (Tent)
Day 63: Ali Camp – Cross Gondogoro Pass – Khuspang
A very early start as early as 2 or 3 O’clock in the morning to cross the Gondogoro la to reach Khuspang.(Tent)
Day 64: Khuspang – Rest Day
Rest day at Khuspang.
In case of bad weather this day will be used to make another attempt to cross the Gondogoro la. (Tent)
Day 65: Khuspang – Dalsanga
After a couple of minutes of easy walk we will come onto the glacier. We will pick our way across moving boulders and ice, and finally crossing the glacier up to the camping site we will reach Dalsangpa. Walk: 05-06 hrs, Grade: Moderate, Altitude: 4150 m.(Tent)
Day 66: Dalsanga – Shaicho
Resume trek along the path; keeping ourselves on the left side of the lateral moraine, crossing several side streams we will reach Shaicho. Walk: 06 – 07 hrs, Grade: Easy, Altitude: 3800 m.(Tent)
Day 67: Shaicho – Hushe
After breakfast we will continue walk along the Hushe River on an easy path. Upon arrival in Hushe we will camp near the fields in Hushe village. (Tent)
Day 68: Hushe – Skardu
After breakfast we will embark jeeps for a full day ride on a winding jeep road to Skardu. Upon arrival transfer to hotel and check in.Overnight stay in hotel at Skardu.
Day 69: Skardu – Chilas
Early morning drive for Chilas. On arrival transfer to hotel and check in.Overnight stay in hotel at Chilas.
Day 70:Chilas – Islamabad
After breakfast we will depart for Islamabad, en route visit rock drawings at Shatial. On arrival transfer to hotel, overnight stay in hotel at Islamabad.
Day 71: Islamabad
We will proceed for de-briefing at Ministry of Tourism in Islamabad. Afternoon, we will go for city tour of Islamabad and Rawalpindi.Overnight stay in hotel at Islamabad.
Day 72: Islamabad – Flight out
Transfer to airport for flight back home. End of K 2 Chogori Expedition
Please Note:Skardu/ Gilgit – Islamabad – Skardu/ Gilgit flights are subject to weather and backlog, in case of flight cancellation we will travel by road, and one night of Islamabad will be adjusted in overland travel.
- Making arrangement of import/ export permit from the ministry of tourism
- Assistance in obtaining climbing permit from the Ministry of Tourism
- Custom clearance of cargo before arrival of the team, and storage facility
- Hotel accommodation as per itinerary
- Briefing/ Debriefing at Ministry of Tourism at Islamabad
- All meals during trek and at B.C as per program
- All road transport and all transfers as mentioned in the program
- Porterage of 75 kg per team member of expedition, equipment and high altitude food to B.C and 50 kg per team member on return from BC
- Camping ground fees, sleeping tents, mattresses, kitchen tent, mess and toilet tent, field stools
- Crockery, cooking pan, cutlery, fuel and other related kitchen equipment
- Daily wages and basic kit of guide, sardar, cook and assistants
- Field staff and low altitude porters insurance
- Porterage at hotels, airports, toll taxes and all other taxes
- Reconfirmation of air tickets, mail handling/ forwarding to BC
- Hiring of high altitude porters, mail runner or any other crew as per requirements (wages and kit to be provided by the team)
- International air tickets, airport taxes, excess baggage charges
- High altitude porters/ any crew above BC
- Sleeping bags, tents, mattresses, high altitude food and oxygen beyond base camp
- Ground evacuations, helicopter rescue charges and medications
- Climbing permit fee or any other fee to be paid to the authorities of Pakistan
- Insurance liability of team members and others under force majeure situations
- Clearing agent charges for the clearance of team equipment, if any