Gasherbrum II Expedition
Elevation (Gasherbrum II Expedition): 8035 Mt
Mountain Range: Karakoram
First climbed on July 8, 1956 by Fritz Moravec, Austrian expedition
Duration: 64 Days
Best Time: May – August
Gasherbrum II Expedition is one of the difficult expeditions. Gasherbrum II (also known as K4) is the 13th highest mountain on Earth, located on the border of Pakistan occupied Kashmir – China. Gasherbrum II is the third highest peak of the Gasherbrum massif, located in the Karakoram Range. At the head of the Baltoro Glacier, at the end of one of the world’s most famed mountain walks, lies the heaviest and most remote concentration of high peaks on the planet. Gasherbrum II is part of the greater Gasherbrum group of 5 peaks, 2 of which soar over 8000m, and is the world’s 13th highest mountain. She is roundly held as one of the most straight-forward and accessible of the fourteen, and climbers on her normal route, if sufficiently resourced and prepared, enjoy reasonable summit rates inclement weather. She is of course a 8000er, and as such repels many dozens of climbers every year. In 2004 some 38 climbers from multiple nationalities reached her summit after a small weather window opened near the end of the season.
The route of choice for Gasherbrum II expedition is the SW ridge. A mostly clearly defined spur that is relatively free of objective dangers. Nonetheless history shows more than a few climbers have perished on this route due to these causes. If you want to climb G2, you will need outstanding stamina, a fierce determination, and an ability to deal with ‘expedition downtime’ – boredom, apathy, lethargy, and cold lonely nights on the glacier.
64 Days Gasherbrum II Expedition Itinerary:
Day 01: Arrival Islamabad
On arrival meet and assist at airport and then transfer to hotel. Overnight stay in hotel at Islamabad.
Day 02: Islamabad – Skardu (By Air)
Early morning flight to Skardu (flights are subject to weather), if unable to fly we will depart for Skardu by road with overnight stay at Chilas. Overnight stay in hotel at Skardu.
Day 03: Skardu
In case of flight has operated we will go for sightseeing tour of Skardu and in case no flight, the day will be used for over land travel from Chilas to Skardu (total drive is 22 – 24 hrs from Islamabad to Skardu). Overnight stay in hotel at Skardu.
Day 04: Skardu
The day is to finalize the expedition arrangements. Overnight stay in hotel at Skardu.
Day 05: Skardu – Askole
After breakfast we will embark jeeps for a full day ride on a winding jeep trail to Askole – The last inhabitance on our way to the Great Glaciers. (Tent)
Day 06: Askole – Korophone
Today we will leave the last inhabited village of Askole. For the remaining portion of our journey we will rely on our local team who will carry our food and equipment and sustain our expedition. (Tent)
Day 07: Korophone – Jhula
Trek to the Dumurdo river cross at Jhula, (Jhula means wire Rope-Bridge supported by a wooden basket); now a days wooden bridge has been built to cross it. (Tent)
Day 08: Jhula – Paiju
We will resume trek along the Braldu River to a green oasis under the shadows of Paiju Peak 6611 M. (Tent)
Day 09: Paiju – Rest Day
Rest & acclimatization day at Paiju. (Tent)
Day 10: Paiju – Urdukas
Begin trek after an early breakfast. (Tent)
Day 11: Urdukas – Goro
A long walk on the icy Baltoro Glacier. (Tent)
Day 12: Goro – Concordia
After an early breakfast, we will resume a long walk on the Baltoro Glacier to a point called Concordia – a huge junction of Baltoro, Abruzzi & Godwin Austin Glaciers at 4000 meters. (Tent)
Day 13: Concordia – Gasherbrum BC
Altitude: 4650m (Tent)
Day 14-58: Scaling the Summit
Day 59: Trek down to Hushe
Day 60: Hushe – Skardu
After breakfast we will embark jeeps for a full day ride on a winding jeep road to Skardu. Upon arrival transfer to hotel and check in. Overnight stay in hotel at Skardu.
Day 61: Skardu – Chilas
Early morning drive for Chilas. On arrival transfer to hotel and check in. Overnight stay in hotel at Chilas.
Day 62: Chilas – Islamabad
After breakfast we will depart for Islamabad, en route visit rock drawings at Shatial. On arrival transfer to hotel, overnight stay in hotel at Islamabad.
Day 63: Islamabad
We will proceed for de-briefing at Ministry of Tourism in Islamabad. Afternoon, we will go for city tour of Islamabad and Rawalpindi. Overnight stay in hotel at Islamabad.
Day 64: Islamabad – Flight out
Transfer to airport for flight back home. End of Gasherbrum II Expedition.
Please Note: Skardu/ Gilgit – Islamabad – Skardu/ Gilgit flights are subject to weather and backlog, in case of flight cancellation we will travel by road, and one night of Islamabad will be adjusted in overland travel.
- Making arrangement of import/ export permit from the ministry of tourism
- Assistance in obtaining climbing permit from the Ministry of Tourism
- Custom clearance of cargo before arrival of the team, and storage facility
- Hotel accommodation as per itinerary
- Briefing/ Debriefing at Ministry of Tourism at Islamabad
- All meals during trek and at B.C as per program
- All road transport and all transfers as mentioned in the program
- Porterage of 75 kg per team member of expedition, equipment and high altitude food to B.C and 50 kg per team member on return from BC
- Camping ground fees, sleeping tents, mattresses, kitchen tent, mess and toilet tent, field stools
- Crockery, cooking pan, cutlery, fuel and other related kitchen equipment
- Daily wages and basic kit of guide, sardar, cook and assistants
- Field staff and low altitude porters insurance
- Porterage at hotels, airports, toll taxes and all other taxes
- Reconfirmation of air tickets, mail handling/ forwarding to BC
- Hiring of high altitude porters, mail runner or any other crew as per requirements (wages and kit to be provided by the team)
- International air tickets, airport taxes, excess baggage charges
- High altitude porters/ any crew above BC
- Sleeping bags, tents, mattresses, high altitude food and oxygen beyond base camp
- Ground evacuations, helicopter rescue charges and medications
- Climbing permit fee or any other fee to be paid to the authorities of Pakistan
- Insurance liability of team members and others under force majeure situations
- Clearing agent charges for the clearance of team equipment, if any